There are many reasons why you should reuse old bricks instead of buying new ones for your exterior works. One reason is the cost. It’s obviously cheaper to use the bricks that you already have than to buy new ones. Restoration is another good reason to reuse the bricks. If you want to keep the same look, use the same material. It works with commercial restoration as well as with the restoration of your house.
There are some precautions you should follow to make sure your reused bricks are in perfect condition. Our masonry experts are here to help you with that.
Removing old mortar is the first thing you have to do before starting to work with the old bricks. Clean it properly to avoid poor bond with the new mortar that may lead to water penetration. Mortar used in development in the past is usually softer than the one we use now, so the older the bricks, the easier it’s to clean old mortar from them. Notice that old bricks may respond differently to the newer mortars that are much harder. Make sure you check how the bricks react to a mortar before applying it to every brick.
Different bricks serve different purpose. Ones that are supposed to hold inside walls may not be suitable for retaining an outside wall and vice versa. Make sure you know what kind of bricks it is and where the bricks were used before, especially if you are planning on buying old bricks for your project.
To sum it up – here is what you have to do before you can use the old bricks:
- Clean the bricks from old mortar.
- Test how they react with new mortar.
- Find out if this kind of bricks can be used in your project.
- Check building codes in the area. It is prohibited to use salvaged bricks in some areas.
There are many other options where you can use old bricks for exterior building and decoration. Here are our top 5 ideas for the old bricks to be used in.
- Brick path. Get creative making a walkway in your yard. All you’ll need are some old bricks, a bit of elbow grease and some garden tools.
- Brick waterfall. Give your backyard a fresh new look with a custom build waterfall.
- Garden bench. There are many different designs that you can choose, we can help you with that.
- Brick fire pit. Create a spot where you can relax. Used bricks will give your fire pit a special look.
- Natural pond. Make your backyard truly stand out with a custom-made pond where you can plant aquatic plants.
There are so many different possibilities to use the old bricks. Think twice before you buy new ones. You don’t want to miss the opportunity to create a truly unique exterior design.
Contact professionals, if you want your project completed according to all the safety protocols and original design. BR Masonry’s primary specialization is masonry works. We have massive experience in building restoration and know how to work with the old bricks. Contact us today to get a free quote.